^Széchenyi thermal bath, Budapest
Medical science has never been better. Innovative technologies and breakthroughs have almost made medical scientists “gods” with their abilities to prolong life, change gender, facilitate pregnancy, and more. The only factor that seems to limit one’s medical options and healthcare is the patient’s ability to pay for the cost of the procedure. With many countries’ direct efforts to resuscitate tourism in their country through health tourism, patients around the world are getting a shot at getting cheaper medical care. To be able to prepare well, a patient or medical tourist needs to know which health tourism destinations have the best medical service providers for their need.
If you have a serious medical condition or you simply want to enhance your physical attributes, you have many options. Here are some of the top health tourism destinations and contenders that deserve consideration.
• India: It is shockingly cheap. Many Americans continue to be shocked by the low prices of medical care here. With its excellent facilities, it is dubbed as the “world’s premier medical destination” for the past 25 years. Almost half a million medical tourists come to India each year to receive medical care, particularly for cardiac and orthopedic procedures. Coming here help them save about 50 percent of the total cost if performed in the US.
• Thailand: A reputable leader in elective surgery and first-rate medical infrastructure. This destination has been serving international medical tourists for over a decade now. It boasts of its UK and America-trained health professionals. It is associated with the leading and largest unified hospital group in South East Asia known as the Bangkok Hospital Group.
• Mexico: It is right there in the backyard. Due to its proximity to US and Canada, Mexico is a preferred destination for many medical tourists from these two affluent nations especially for dental and cosmetic procedures. About 150,000 to 500,000 medical tourists come here yearly to take advantage of savings estimated to be between 50 and 75 percent.
• Costa Rica: It is WHO-recognized for quality healthcare. It even ranks higher than US, but cheaper. So what is to stop Americans, Canadians and other rich neighbors from accessing medical care from this country? Approximately 15 percent of the tourists coming here take advantage of its cosmetic and dental care that is 50 to 70 percent cheaper than in the US.
• Malaysia: It has a special burn treatment center and cheap health packages. Among the well-known low-cost health packages that includes a battery of tests – blood chemistry, chest X-ray, bone density scan and treadmill test – are the so-called “well-man” and “well-woman” packages for your girly vacation. This merely costs about $340 that is very different from the usual $2,500 in the US.
• New Zealand: Tekapo Springs is one of New Zealand’s most popular family getaway relaxation spot, with a lot of activities for both recreation & relaxation.
The complex boasts of five hot pools, built to resemble the natural beauty of the lakes surrounding it. The water comes from pure underground source near Tekapo and heated with recyclable energy. The water temperature is perfect for soaking in and taking in the awesome lake, mountain and forest views, temperature ranges from 27 to 39 degrees Celsius. In winter, the ground tends to be covered with snow, adding to the already magical experience. There are a lot of other sport activities and the experience to gaze at the stars clearly away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
• Singapore: WHO’s best health care system in Asia and the 6th in the world. The Biopolis, a biotechnology research center, has a stem cell bank. Singapore has liberal laws on the use of human embryonic cells for research and treatments. It’s a world-famous destination for a whole range of medical procedures such as cardiology and cardiac surgery, hepatology, orthopedics, neurology, oncology, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, and of course, stem cell therapy.
• Hungary: The country with the “most number of dentists per capita than any other country”. These dentist are found all over the country which is why medical tourists from all over Europe are coming here for major dental care, full-mouth restorations and implants, and cosmetic oral surgeries. Hungary is also well remembered for its mineral springs, baths, and spas.
You’ll notice that most of these leading and fast-rising health tourism destinations are not just luring medical tourists because of the less expensive life-saving and elective medical procedures. These places are also great vacation places that offer patients great and cheaper ways to recuperate. The meaning of health or medical tourism truly comes to life in these destinations.