Or the Drunk House is a building in downtown Prague, Czech Republic at Rašínovo nábřeží 80, 120 00 Praha 2. Technically the Nationale-Nederlandenbuilding. It was designed by Croatian-Czech architect Vlado Milunić in cooperation with Canadian-American architect Frank Gehry on a vacant riverfront lot. The building was originally called Fred and Ginger, a nod to Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers as the house resembles a pair of dancers.
I requested hubby that we must see this Art Noveau building before the day ends. I knew it would be worth the trouble walking and braving the streets for some shots!
Prague’s Dancing House is situated on the riverfront. Going on the other side of the road to have a full view of the building, I can’t help but shoot the scenic river too.
Here’s some of what you can do when visiting the Dancing House:
- Admire the Architecture: The Dancing House is an intriguing and unconventional building designed by architects Vlado Milunić and Frank Gehry. Its design resembles a pair of dancers, hence its nickname. Take some time to appreciate the distinctive curves and asymmetrical shape of the building, which stands out in contrast to the surrounding historic architecture.
- Enjoy the View: The Dancing House features a rooftop terrace called “Ginger & Fred,” named after the famous dancing duo Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. The terrace offers panoramic views of the Vltava River, Prague Castle, and the city skyline. You can enjoy a meal or a drink while taking in the breathtaking scenery.
- Visit the Gallery: The Dancing House is home to the Ginger & Fred Gallery, which showcases contemporary art exhibitions. If you have an interest in art, be sure to explore the gallery and see the latest exhibitions featuring works by local and international artists.
- Have a Meal or Drink: The Dancing House houses a restaurant on the top floor, providing an opportunity to dine in a unique setting. You can enjoy a meal with a view of Prague’s landmarks. Alternatively, you can visit the ground-floor café for a cup of coffee or a snack while appreciating the architecture of the building.
- Explore the Surrounding Area: The Dancing House is located on the banks of the Vltava River, near the historic center of Prague. Take a walk along the riverbank and enjoy the scenic views. You can also explore nearby attractions such as the Charles Bridge, Old Town Square, or the Prague Castle complex.